Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sorting stringer...

I just spent the last few hours sorting and making new stringer.  I had to sort the stringer I had so I'd know what colors of stringer I needed to make, but damn is it hard matching some stringer to the original rod.  Once the glass is that thin it's hard to tell whether it's this shade of orange or that shade of orange.  I actually had to get Jon's help with it, but I don't know if that just confused me more.

I ended up with about 5 or 6 colors that I already had stringer for, then I turned on the torch and made stringer out of 9 more colors.  I chose the number 9 because of it's awesome significance: that's how many divots I have in my rod rest!  Once I filled up my rod rest with possibly-hot rods, I didn't want to mess around with laying additional rods on the rest and risking dropping hot rods on my workbench.  Safety tip: lay some sort of sheet metal along the ENTIRE top of your work bench, not just underneath your torching area, so you don't have to worry about hot rods setting fire to your table top, like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment