Thursday, May 30, 2013

First Craft Show This Weekend and A Little Trivia About Yours Truly...

This weekend I will be participating in my first-ever craft show.  It's taking place at the Church of the Pacific near Princeville here on Kauai.  I've been really anxious the last couple years about doing craft shows... I'm really uncomfortable with the prospect of talking to show organizers to get myself signed up, don't ask me why.  Luckily, this particular craft show is run by people I already know, so when I found that out it became just "asking a friend".  I signed up for the show on May 4th and have spent the last 4 weeks making and cleaning beads, designing and making jewelry, and getting jewelry displays together to show my wares.  I have 2 days to go, and I think I'll be ready.  I'll come back and post pictures of my booth at the craft show next week.

Here are a few items I'll selling in my booth:

Alphabet Charm Beads

A little bit about me I don't think I've talked about yet: I study history as a hobby and do medieval reenactment in the Society for Creative Anachronism. That's actually how I got into lampworking in the first place. Beads have a 5000 year old history, and have been treasured throughout the ages as items of worship, focus, wealth, and beauty. Ancient Egyptians and Medieval Vikings were particularly fond of them, and they have almost always been traded around the world as prized possessions. I wouldn't give up a piece of land for beads, but I'm sure that Native American who traded Long Island for a handful of beads and shells probably thought he was getting a deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment