Friday, December 20, 2013

Getting up before the sun...

I recently changed my schedule at my J-O-B and am now going in 2 hours earlier than I was before. My 5:30 alarm pierces my dreams like a siren's wail, and I just don't want to get up. Don't you agree that changing your work schedule is like having jet lag? Whether it's imposed on you by your boss or voluntary, it feels exactly the same. You still get that tight exhausted the feeling in the middle of your chest when you drag yourself out of bed at 0-dark-30, with a hangovery headache and the screaming need for caffeine. Sometimes, I even have "the shakes", like a drug addict coming off a high. I stumble around the house in the dark looking for yesterday's load of clean laundry to find something to wear, trying to keep from waking everybody else up. I deeply feel the unfairness of it all and want to "accidentally" bang on some pots and pans to wake up my husband so I'm not the only one suffering miserably. Luckily, my sense of fair play prevails, 'cause I know that he stayed up doing the dishes and didn't get to bed til well past 11, AND it's his Christmas vacation, which he deserves to enjoy after doing so well on his finals this semester.

So, I wake up, get dressed, drive to work, and suck down an acidic cup o' joe with enough sugars to spike a bear's sugar levels, and I spend the rest of the day missing my maternity leave, when the only thing keeping me awake at all hours was a screaming baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment