Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The long, slow slog through medieval lampworking research...

The title of this post makes it sound like I don't enjoy doing research in medieval lampworking, but I really do love learning about the way people have made glass beads throughout the millennia. It's just that there are so many sources of information out there, and most of the sources are practically carbon copies of each other. One researcher publishes an article and twenty other researchers insert the text of the article almost verbatim into their own website. I am all for using other people's work and citing sources, but when you're trying to find new or unique information and everyone is copying from everyone else, it becomes more of a tedious exercise. 

I am hoping to do something slightly different than I have seen done. I want to find the nuggets of gold, cull the herd, and present the best research that I can find about my desired topic, the glass beads of early medieval Ireland. To save all our sanities,  I will abbreviate that as EMIB throughout my blog, cause seriously, talk about tedious, having to repeat Early Medieval Irish Glass Beads over and over.

Note:
The text of this post was originally written in 2016. It's taken me this long to sit down and look at this blog again, and you would not believe it but today I want to talk about the exact same subject. Medieval lampworking research. Well, here we go. I'll post what I want to say after having the exact same roadblock for the last 6 years in a different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment